Parasites in the Pool?

Friday, June 19, 2015

While splashing around in a chlorinated pool or drinking water from a backyard hose are common summer activities, you may not consider the potential problems of the Cryptosporidium and Giardia parasites. These microorganisms are the most common of parasites in U.S. drinking water and can make you miserable if ingested.

Both parasites are fecal intestinal parasites of warm blooded animals and there are several species of each, some of which can infect humans. The most vulnerable victims are infants, children, or people with compromised immune systems, but healthy people can also suffer symptoms for a few days up to several weeks. You might think that the disinfectant chlorine used in pools and drinking water treatment would kill these parasites, but in fact they are more resistant to chlorine than bacteria, and Cryptosporidium is completely resistant to chlorination.

While you may not be able to avoid all exposure while using public spaces such as pools or water parks, you can greatly reduce or remove these and other microorganisms from your drinking water using microfiltration, ultrafiltration, nanofiltration, and reverse osmosis. The entire family of Multipure Drinking Water Systems are NSF-tested and certified for 99.95% reduction of not only Cryptosporidium and Giardia, but also Entamoeba and Toxoplasma as well.

Reduce your exposure by always using a Multipure Drinking Water System. Contact to learn how the solid carbon block filter can filter particles to the submicron level, including cysts.

  Share Post   

View Comments Comments

Leave a Comment