Three Reasons to Skip Bottled Water

Friday, July 11, 2014 - by Water2Drink

The bottled water industry has exploded over the last decade. The effectiveness of the bottled water marketing campaigns has led the general public to believe buying their product is the safer, more convenient way to consume purified water. But you can’t believe all the marketing hype.  Thanks to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), here are some reasons to skip bottled water and find another solution.

1.       1.  What’s in the Bottle? No, not the contents, but within the plastic used to make the bottle. The FDA has disclosed which chemicals are used to make PET plastic (marked with a #1 code), but do you know how many chemicals may be leaching into the water?  An EWG investigation found these plastics contain “dozens of chemical additives, manufacturing impurities and breakdown byproducts – a total of more than 80 potential contaminants that can leach into the water.”

2.       2.  What’s in the Water? In 2008, the EWG found 38 pollutants in 10 brands of bottled water. The bottled water industry, unlike water utility companies, rarely discloses the results of contamination testing on its product.  Yet they claim that bottled water is as safe as tap water. “Given the industry’s refusal to make available data to support its claims, consumers have little reason to be confident in the purity of bottled water,” says the EWG.

3.       3.  Plastic Pollution.  As consumption continues to rise, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that only 29% of plastic bottles were recycled in 2011. This leaves 71% of plastic pollution to pollute waterways, clog landfills, and threaten marine life.

So what is the solution? Filter your tap water and use a reusable bottle.  There is a wide range of water filtration products to fit every budget and each water concern.  A Multipure solid carbon filter, tested and certified to NSF/ANSI standards, provides consumers superior water filtration to deliver healthier water. At, we can provide you with affordable, effective alternatives to bottled water.  Our Resource Center has product information, performance data and warranty information to help you select the most effective water filter to fit your needs. Call or visit us online today to explore the hidden costs of bottled water.

Let’s begin eliminating harmful bottles from our world and the planet!

  Share Post   

View Comments Comments

Leave a Comment